Lazy Days: Sticky Toffee Apples & Treacle Tart
We don’t need an excuse to enjoy some sweet treats here at Arlo & Jacob, but if we did, Halloween is as good a reason as any! There’s nothing more traditional than a classic sticky toffee apple to sink your fangs into at a Halloween party, and our lovely friends at Kelly’s of Cornwall have shared this super simple recipe to create your own at home. They look very impressive but take almost no time to prepare – our kind of recipe! If you’re opting for a more sophisticated take on Halloween food, then this treacle tart will hit the sweet spot. It’s effortlessly easy to make (no tricks here!), and seriously yummy served with a scoop of Kelly’s ice cream.
Sticky Toffee Apples
300g caster sugar
1 tbsp sesame seeds or 35g pecan nuts, chopped (optional)
2 apples, cored
Kelly’s of Cornwall Clotted Cream Ice Cream
1. Prepare the apples and pierce each with a wooden paddle pop stick to hold. Line a tray with baking parchment.
2. Very gently, dissolve the sugar in a large pan. Don’t stir with a spoon, just move the pan with a swirling motion to move the sugar around. Once it has dissolved, bubble until you have a golden brown caramel. Add the sesame or pecans if using.
3. Working quickly, dip each apple into the caramel, coating them evenly. Place onto the baking parchment. If the caramel becomes a little sticky, just warm it over a low heat until it loosens a little.
4. Serve immediately with Kelly’s of Cornwall Clotted Cream Ice Cream.
4½ oz shortcrust pastry
125g/4oz golden syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
75-125g/3-4oz fresh white or wholemeal breadcrumbs
1. Using the pastry, line 7 inch pie plate
2. Add lemon juice to golden syrup and then add to the breadcrumbs
3. Pour filling into pastry
4. Bake for approximately 30 minutes at gas 6/200°C/400°F
5. Perfect served with Kelly’s of Cornwall Clotted Cream Ice Cream!