Lazy Days: Lamb and Lentil Curry by Chris Baber
If there are two things we know about at Arlo & Jacob, it’s comfort and food; so it’s only natural then that comfort food would make its way to the top of our speciality list, and what’s more comforting than a warming curry on a cool autumn evening. Perfect for the colder months, this lamb and lentil curry is the ultimate mid-week meal and will fill a whole family of hungry tummies.
4 lamb steaks cut into cubes (trim off any visible fat)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp garam masala
2 large onions, finely sliced
3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 tsp cumin/1 tsp ground coriander/½ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp tamarind paste
50g red lentils
500ml vegetable stock
Large bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp honey
Fat free yogurt to serve
1. Toss the lamb in 1 tbsp of garam masala.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan over a high heat.
3. Add the lamb and cook for 2 minutes until browned, remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the onions, garlic and sweet potato to the pan and cook for around 5 minutes until the
onion is lightly golden.
5. Add the cumin, ground coriander and turmeric, cook for another minute.
6. Add the tamarind paste and stock to the pan along with the lentils and bring to the boil.
7. Reduce to a simmer for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is thick.
8. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the remaining garam masala with the lemon juice, honey and mint.
9. Remove from the heat, serve with rice and a dollop of fat free yogurt.