Get The Look: White Cosy Chic
Refresh your home with our cosy version of a classic white interior.
Keep your living room soft, not stark, with feel-good furniture, textures and sustainable fabrics for a cosier summer feel.
Texture, craft and handmade pieces
Classic and versatile, white interiors are often called a canvas for life, albeit a sterile one. However, with the rise in sustainable fabrics and craftsmanship, white schemes now enjoy a cosier reputation.
"A white living room doesn't have to be austere or cold," says Laura Barnard, Arlo & Jacob's Head of Product. "Pared-back spaces can still be warm and inviting when you layer them with softer textures."
To create a warm and cosy white scheme include softer elements such as "Belgium linens, tactile rugs, organic shapes and handmade pieces," adds Laura. Patterns, such as zig-zag, spots and stripes, add immediate visual interest.
Our Iberian Weave, Straw is a great example. Further, get inspired and "display plenty of art, craft and artisan pieces," she encourages. "They all create an emotional connection in your all-white home."
White is both cost-effective and luxe
Our Get The Look features an array of handcrafted elements, including a white planter by designer Tim van de Weerd, wallpaper by Farrow & Ball, a vessel by Camilla Bliss, and off course, our handmade Harriet sofa.
"The importance of being surrounded by objects, furnishings, finishes and materials that have personal meaning brings its boosts to well-being," Michelle Ogundehin, one of the U.K.'s leading design consultants, told Dezeen recently.
For those on a tight budget, white interiors are a cost-effective solution that easily looks luxe. "White looks more sophisticated when paired with neutral cushions, art and texture," says Laura. For a quick luxe fix add a Beni Ourain rug, or other neutral floor coverings, such as those from Jord Home.
Further, white interiors feel friendlier, and larger, with generous sized rugs, footstools and sofas. "Fill the white void with statement pieces," she says. "Larger furniture makes a small room feel bigger... our Charlotte sofa looks effortless upholstered in Belgian Linen Flax."
As seen on our Charlotte fabric board, add layers of oatmeal, chalk, clay, shell and stone to keep your white interior cosy this summer.
1. Harriet Medium Sofa in True Linen, Arlo & Jacob, from £1250
2. Hector Bibendum Table Light White, Original BTC, £174.17
3. Aranami Wallpaper, Code BP 4602, Farrow & Ball, £105 per roll
4. Orb Mirror in White, Reid & Wright, from £480
5. Carnivora Planter Set in White Grey, Tim Vandeweerd, €545
6. Hastings Footstool in True Linen, Small, Arlo & Jacob, from £480
7. Linen Stripe Cushion, Large, Arlo & Jacob, from £85
8. Black and White Beni Ourain Rug, Large, Tate & Darby, £1200
9. White Guardian Vessel, Medium, Camilla Bliss, The New Craftsmen, £840
10. Orbit Floor Lamp, Porta Romana, POA