Lazy Days: Coconut and Chocolate Brownies by Chetna Makan
If you’re going to a dinner party this weekend and have been tasked with bringing the dessert (always a daunting prospect for those of us who aren’t naturally gifted with the talents of Mary Berry), then these easy peasy and oh so scrumptious coconut chocolate brownies will be your new saviour in sugary form. We recommend whipping up an extra batch to keep for yourself as they’re just so good you won’t want to give them all away.
250g unsalted butter
250g dark chocolate
375g granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g coconut flour
50g self raising flour
40g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease and line a 30 x 20 cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the butter with the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar and vanilla until the mixture is light and fluffy, this can take up to 8-10 minutes. To this, add the melted butter and chocolate and mix well. Now add the coconut, self raising flour and desiccated coconut and whisk until combined well.
- Pour this mix into the prepared tin, spreading it evenly. Bake it for 25-30 minutes until there is a crust on top of the brownies, and there is no wobble.
- Leave it to cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing it into squares.