Lazy Days: A trio of blue cheese canapeś for Christmas
“It’s Chriiiiiistmas”! We’re in full festive swing now, enjoying Christmas parties, mulled wine and mince pies in gluttonous measure. If you’re likewise filled with festive cheer and are going to any Christmas celebrations this week, hosting drinks at your home, or will be doing so over the festive period, here are some tantalising blue cheese canape recipes from Saint Agur to whip up beforehand to serve to your eager guests. Trust us, they’re so moreish you’ll be making them in batch loads to either serve to your guests or treat your party host. They’re also a great way to use up any leftover blue cheese that you may have post-Boxing Day.
Saint Agur Puff Pastry Canapeś
2 sheets of puff pastry
125g Saint Agur
1. Cut each sheet of pastry into 4 squares and make a groove with your finger at the centre of each piece.
2. Cut the pear into thin slices, top the puff pastry with the slices.
3. Spread small chunks of Saint Agur over each slice.
4. Whisk your egg and then brush each canapé with the mix. Bake at 180C for about 10 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden.
5. Drizzle with a little honey and decorate with a sprig of rosemary.
Mini Croque Madame with Saint Agur
4 slices of toasted bread
4 slices of ham
125g Saint Agur
8 quail eggs
1. Remove the crusts from each slice of toast.
2. Top two slices of the toast with a layer of cheese, the ham and then another layer of cheese. Add the other two slices of bread on top, pressing together to seal.
3. Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the sandwiches until golden and crispy.
4. Fry the quail eggs into small, round fried eggs.
5. Cut each sandwich into four squares with a sharp knife and top the sandwiches with the fried eggs.
Saint Agur Mini Muffins
50ml olive oil
250g wheat flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
100g Saint Agur
30g dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Stir the eggs, milk and oil together in a bowl.
3. Stir the flour, salt and baking soda together in another bowl.
4. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together with a spoon to make a consistent and smooth dough. Stir chopped cranberries and walnuts into the dough mixture.
5. Distribute the dough evenly into 24 small muffin cases and make a groove in the middle of each muffin, fill with a small square of Saint Agur.
6. Bake the muffins for 15-20 minutes and then serve warm.