Sofa Moments: Treat your Mum this Mother's Day to Mama B’s Chicken Biriyani and a beautiful bouquet from Bloom & Wild
Just in time for Mother’s Day, the UN World Food Programme in partnership with Tilda has launched ‘Helping Mums Together 2019’ with Bake Off Star Ruby Bhogal. Tilda’s ‘Helping Mums Together’ campaign promises that with every purchase of their specially marked packs of rice, they will help fund a nutrition-boosting meal for new and expectant mums in Bangladesh to help fight malnutrition. Bake-off contestant Ruby Bhogal shares her delicious recipe for Chicken Biriyani with us; a recipe that was passed down by her mother.
Ruby Bhogal’s Mother’s Day Recipe
“The reason I am a real foodie and my passion for all things cooking comes from my Mum. I have been so lucky to grow up in a household where food is in abundance, and I was introduced to a plethora of spices from an early age. Saturday nights are religiously curry nights at my parents, and one of my most favourite things my Mum makes for us is a biriyani. It is packed full of flavour, easy to cook and hugely nourishing.
For me, food is always about tasting incredible, while also offering a nutritious element. I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't constantly followed my Mum around the kitchen from a young age, asking to stir the pot and whether I could help. It is such a huge passion of mine and now being able to cook a dish inspired by my Mum for my Mum is incredible. Hearty, warm and comforting - the dish reminds me of her and brings all the homely feels a good dinner should.”
Mama B’s Chicken Biriyani Recipe
Takes: 1 Hour (or less)
For the rice:
2 glasses Tilda Basmati Rice
3 ¾ glasses of water
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
1 small onion chopped onions
15g salted butter
1 glass mixed frozen veg (peas, carrots, sweetcorn)
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
For the chicken:
1kg chicken (boneless and drumsticks)
2 medium onions - diced
1 tbsp olive oil
3 to 4 garlic cloves
3 tsps ginger
½ tinned tomatoes
2 tsp green finger chillies - chopped
1 tsp turmeric
2 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
Handful of fresh coriander
- Into a medium-sized saucepan, add in the chopped onions and gently heat in butter. Once melted, add in cumin, continue to sizzle for 2 mins. Add in the frozen mixed vegetables and allow to cook for 5 minutes – remember to stir regularly. When the veg has cooked through, add in salt, turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder. Stir well and add in the water.
- While the water is heating up, wash the rice thoroughly in cold water to remove starch. Drain from the water and add into the saucepan. Stir well, bring to the boil and then lower the gas and place on the lid. Keep the rice on the heat for approximately 15 mins until the water has cooked out.
- In the meantime, let’s get the chicken cooked. Into a large saucepan, add in the diced onions and oil and cook. The onions should be golden brown and translucent before you add in the garlic. Grate in the cloves of garlic and mix well, followed by grating in the ginger. Mix well.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, followed by the green chillies, turmeric, salt and garam masala. Stir well before adding in the chopped fresh coriander
- The base needs to reduce for approximately 5 mins before we add in the chicken. Allow the chicken to cook thoroughly and any excess water has been cooked out. Check the temperature of the chicken to ensure it is cooked, before adding in the cooked rice. Mix well to bring together.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle on top some more fresh coriander. Serve alongside a fresh green salad and raita.
Treat her to a beautiful bouquet
While you’re at it making your mum feel super special on Mother’s Day, why not treat her to a stunning floral display from Bloom & Wild? Order the bouquet online and it’ll be delivered to her address, putting a big smile on your wonderful mum’s face.