The ultimate autumn treat, these Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts are glazed with a dark chocolate cinnamon icing and just happen to be 100% vegan. Ideal for the beginning of vegan month, where we’re celebrating the joys of going dairy and animal free, thanks to the lovely bloggers at Veganosity, Linda and Alex. They pair perfectly with a warming chai latte for a tasty afternoon bite. Yum!
Preparation & Cooking Time:
1 and ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
¼ cup of applesauce + 1 teaspoon of baking powder – combine in a bowl (egg replacer)
⅓ cup coconut sugar
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
½ cup up pumpkin puree
¼ cup of almond milk
1 cup of confectioner’s sugar
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
3 tablespoons of almond milk – add more or less to get the desired consistency
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
* Preheat the oven to 350° and grease the doughnut pan if it’s not a non-stick pan
* In a medium bowl whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
* In a mixing bowl add the applesauce egg replacer and the coconut sugar and mix until well combined. Add the pumpkin puree, vanilla and the maple syrup and mix until well combined. Add one half of the flour mixture and half of the almond milk and mix until just combined. Add the second half of the flour mixture and milk and mix until combined. Add more milk if the batter is too stiff. It should be firm but not difficult to stir.
* Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan and place on the rack until completely cool
* For the icing: In a medium bowl stir the confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and milk together until smooth and creamy. The texture should be between frosting and a glaze. Add more milk if needed.
* When the doughnuts are completely cool frost the doughnuts. Enjoy!
For more great vegan recipes visit: www.veganosity.com