Lazy Days: Pan-Fried Scallops and Chocolate Mousse
Whether this year’s Valentine is your other half, a close friend or your teenage daughter, we can guarantee they’ll love this thoughtful homemade meal from Clarks maple syrup. You can also enjoy these pan-fried scallops and chocolate-maple mousses from the comfort of one of our squishy snugglers.
Pan Fried Scallops
Ingredients - Pan-Fried Scallops:
4 slices pancetta
6 king scallops with roe attached
2 tsp sunflower oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
¼ zest orange
5 tbsp orange juice
1 ½ tbsp Clarks maple syrup
1 bunch fine asparagus
1. Heat grill to medium. Line a grill pan with foil, add pancetta and grill for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Set aside.
2. Heat oil a small frying pan over a high heat, add scallops and cook for 1 ½ minutes until deep golden, turn and cook for a further minute. Transfer to a warmed plate and cover with foil.
3. In a medium frying pan melt butter over a medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes until golden. Add the thyme and orange zest, cook for a few seconds then add the orange juice, maple syrup and season well. Increase the heat and bubble rapidly for a minute. Remove from the heat, add the cooked scallops and turn in the sauce.
4. Meanwhile, steam asparagus for 1-2 minutes until tender. Divide between two plates, top with the scallops, and sauce. Break cooked pancetta into shards, scatter over and serve.
TIP: Smaller scallops will take less time to cook, so be careful not to overcook them as they may turn rubbery.
Ingredients - Chocolate Mousse
Ingredients (for the base):
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp Clarks maple syrup
40g amaretti biscuits, crushed
20g pecans, chopped
(for the filling):
75g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
200ml double cream
2½ tbsp Clarks maple syrup
2 tbsp amaretto or brandy (use orange juice if you prefer)
3 pecan halves, sliced
1 tsp grated chocolate
1 tsp Clarks maple syrup
1. Melt butter with maple syrup in a small saucepan until bubbling. Remove from the heat and add amaretti biscuits and pecans. Stir well and spoon into two glasses (at least 175ml volume). Place in the fridge while you make the mousse.
2. Break chocolate into chunks and place in a heatproof bowl. Set over a pan of barely simmering water until completely melted (do not allow the water to boil underneath). Remove from the heat for 5 mins.
3. Whisk cream into a medium mixing bowl with an electric hand whisk until it forms soft peaks. Add maple syrup and amaretto and whisk again. Remove 3 tablespoons and set aside. Spoon about a quarter of the cream into the chocolate and whisk to combine and loosen the mixture. Spoon immediately into the cream and whisk again until combined. Spoon into the two glasses, then spoon over the reserved cream. Chill for at least 30 mins.
4. Scatter with sliced pecans, chocolate and maple just before serving.
TIP: This makes two generous chocolate pots. For smaller appetites, spoon into 4 x 100ml glasses.