Get the Look: How to style a gingham sofa and armchair
Discover how to style your gingham sofa and armchair with warm hues to keep it chic and contemporary
Gingham is a nostalgic print that’s synonymous with summer
Optimistic and nostalgic, gingham’s graphic boldness has made a welcome return to our living rooms. Suddenly, from sofa to armchairs, curtains to footstools, this cottagecore fabric has found fresh relevance in contemporary homes.
Retro and playfully 1980s, it looks incredibly crisp in the homes that aren't afraid to be cosy.
However, rather than feeling fussy, gingham offers heritage design with modern appeal. It also looks incredibly fresh when juxtaposed with earthy terracottas, clay pink, ochre and apricot — in fact, the more sunshine hued, the better.
“Archive prints and reissued classics are a major interior trend as their familiarity evokes warm nostalgia, especially around our homes,” says Laura Bernard, Buying & Merchandising Manager for Arlo & Jacob.
Gingham has popped up in plenty of millennial pastels include mauve, pink and apricot. Playfully striking to the eye, the gingham revival is the latest fabric to be embraced by homeowners happy to surround themselves with rustic references.
This spring, why not embrace the idyllic charms of gingham and transform your living room. How do you style a gingham sofa or armchair? Why not style with apricot or ochre as the perfect contrast to gingham's bold simplicity.
When it comes to making an impact, nothing compares to adding prints to your scheme. The best take on gingham is placing it against high-tech resin, pop plastic or rich earthy hues. Rather than being a tad twee, it’s the boldness of this print and striking colours that will make a real impact.
With spring ready to bloom, why not infuse your living with our retro burst of playfulness.
Shop the Look
1. Arte, Dodo Pavone, Moooi Wallpaper, The Best Wallpaper Place, £249.00
2. Pink & Mauve Vase, &klevering, POA
3. Scatter cushion, Ian Mankin, Suffolk small gingham check, Black, Arlo & Jacob, £92
4. Aura Lights, Rose & Yellow, Sabine Marcelis, Established & Sons, £2200 per light
5. Twisted Rope Mirror, &klevering, Trouva.com, £51.49
6. Scallop Rug, Salvesen Graham, Jennifer Manners, £1598
7. Helena Sofa, Large, Ian Mankin, Suffolk small gingham check, Black, Arlo & Jacob, £2227
8. Candy Cube, Peach, Resin, Sabine Marcelis, 1stdibs, £2,800
9. Vesper cocktail chair, Ian Mankin, Suffolk small gingham check, Black Arlo & Jacob, from £845
10. Inka Stoneware Bowl, Carmel Brown, OYOY, Couverture & The Garbstore, £21